But the research is clear, individuals are more fulfilled and organizations perform better when they’re rooted in an authentic purpose.
It’s a quick and simple read with some nice colorful infographics. Here are the five reasons:
- Lower risk of death – “researchers found that people who demonstrate a sense of purpose in their lives have a 15% lower risk of death”
- More fulfilled at work – “The 2015 U.S. Purpose Index study found that purpose-oriented employees have 64% higher levels of fulfillment in their work.”
- Higher employee retention
- Meaning over recognition – “84 percent of millennials say that making a difference is more important than professional recognition.”
- Higher returns for purpose-driven companies
In case you’re interested, here are the studies and research the article refers to.
- Purpose in Life as a Predictor of Mortality Across Adulthood
- 2016 Workforce Purpose Index Study
- Becoming irresistible: A new model for employee engagement
- 6 MILLENNIAL MOTIVATORS: A GUIDE TO WHAT MOTIVATES MILLENNIALS AT WORK
- Why a Purpose-Driven Mission Is Key to Motivating Millennials
- Firms of Endearment